Sunday, September 23, 2007

hello

well, my romantic wife, Rebecca, talked me into setting this up. Hi.

For those who know me and haven't seen me in awhile, I've been on a health mission for the last year-and-a-1/2: Long-term heart attack prevention. To see if it works, just follow this blog until I die.
Actually, I got started on this after my dad's passing from a "silent" heart attack (no warning signs other than mild dizziness, typically). For the 2nd consecutive generation, a male Stevenson died before age 60. At the funeral, a relative informed me that no one on that side of the family has made it passed their early 60's aside from great-grandad (83) and a great-aunt(currently in her 90's). Everyone else apparently had a heart attack and a couple cancer victims. (Now, I suppose if I were able to choose my method of becoming deceased, a quick heart attack in your sleep really would be the ideal way to go, so long as it was after about age 70-75.)
Then I got my cholesterol reading: 265. So, since then I've been trying to figure out ways of heart-attack prevention. The earlier you start, the better, right? Some people call me and others who are consumed with health and nutrition "health-freaks." I call us a long-term solution to the health insurance crisis that everybody's always crying about on TV and movies (Sicko). The better health you're in, odds are the less you'll see a doctor.
So, what did I do?
This sounds kind of cheesy, but I watched ROCKY BALBOA when it came out in theaters. I grew up watching the Rocky's. At first, I thought that watching a 60-yr-old Sly Stallone in another Rocky film was going to be just shameful. But like a lot of people, I was very surprised to see how good of condition he was in, and I definitely thought it was one of the more enjoyable films I've seen in a long time, especially since I related to the theme: trying to beat the aging process. I went to a bookstore and found "Sly Moves", Stallone's diet and exercise book. I followed it almost word for word. The results were surprising. In about 5 months, my weight stayed the same, I lost about three waist sizes, I felt a million times better and my cholesterol dropped to 165. I'm actually looking forward to aging. Bring it on.
I'll tell you what a 3500 calorie-a-day diet looks like next time.

No comments: